- What happens in the Speaking Center?
- What happens in a Speaking Center session?
- Do I need an appointment to meet with a Speaking Center tutor?
- What’s a good time to drop by for tutoring?
- Will I see the same tutor if I come to the Center often?
- What do I need to bring to the Speaking Center?
- Do I have to pay for tutoring?
- English is not my first language. Can the Speaking Center tutors still help me?
- We want to make sure that you are ready to speak out—in class, on campus, and in the world more broadly. We offer peer and faculty consulting for class projects and campus speeches and general advice on dealing with speech anxiety.
- Trained student tutors and faculty offer you one-on-one consultation on all kinds of presentations. Our staff can work with you at any stage of the process-brainstorming, outlining, editing, delivery, and more. Just schedule an appointment or drop by and come prepared to create a great presentation. By the way, we can work on all types of oral communication—presentations, class discussion or debate, group presentations, interviews, etc. We are open to all majors, and all levels of speakers (beginner to advanced). You set the agenda when you come in for an appointment.
- At the CWS you have access to information on a variety of speaking topics: planning a presentation, delivery, adapting to an audience, using PowerPoint, presenting as a group, handling the Q&A session, and more.
- You can use the center to practice your presentations and record and watch your speech.
You decide. Need help brainstorming speech topics, outlining a speech, or dealing with those butterflies? Need someone to watch your speech and give you feedback? Want to do a mock interview? You can use tutoring time in the way that you feel will best help. Our experienced consultants will help you build and polish your presentation.
At this time appointments are not necessary, but are highly recommended. Our consultations generally last 30 minutes, so please try to get there by 4:30 p.m. if you want to make the most of your visit! Our phone number is (706) 379-5120. If you call and get no answer during operating hours, we are probably consulting with a student.
The hours are Monday-Thursday from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m.-5 p.m. These times are also posted on the Facebook Rhetorica page and at the Center. Appointments are preferable, but not necessary. Keep in mind that if you wait until the last minute, you may find that the Center is busy. Our consultations generally last for about 30 minutes, so plan ahead! We are busiest after 2 p.m., so try to come in between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. if your schedule permits.
Faculty and student tutors have regularly assigned hours. If you would like to see the same tutor, look at the schedules posted throughout the Center. There is no obligation to work with the same tutor: do what works best for you!
Bring a copy of your assignment sheet and your outline or rough draft if you have one. In addition, you should bring writing materials in case you want to take notes or make changes to your work while you are in the Center.
No. Young Harris College is committed to helping you reach your speaking goals. There is no charge.
The Speaking Center tutors have some information for students whose first language is not English, and they are always willing to help you in any way they can. Please pick up the handout titled “International Student and Public Speaking” during your visit. Tutors may recommend that you visit the Academic Success Center, where you can work with Mrs. Young, our ESOL specialist.