Dr. John Van Vliet
Associate Professor of Business and Public Policy
Email Dr. Van Vliet
B.S., United States Military Academy
M.A., Georgetown University
M.B.A., Georgia State University
Ph.D., Capella Univeristy
Born at Fort Benning, Ga., the home of the Infantry, John spent his youth as an Army brat and then followed in his father’s footsteps by serving 24 years in the US Army. He served in various capacities, such as Commander, Plans Officer, Personnel Officer, Intelligence Officer and Military Attaché. He is proud to claim the 75th Ranger Regiment as his regiment. Dr. Van Vliet retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1994.
Dr. Van Vliet’s second career was in the distribution and automation engineering industry. He started as the Operations Manager for a $30 million electric parts distributor in Greenville, S.C.. He then became the Director of a $160 million business unit with 13 locations in three states. He retired in 2002 and began his doctoral studies.
Dr. Van Vliet is married to his high school sweetheart. They live in Hiawassee, Ga., and have two grown daughters and three young grandsons.
- Assistant Professor, U.S. Military Academy (1979-1983)
- Instructor, Masters Program, Boston University, London UK (1992-1993)
- Lecturer, Ministry of Defense, London UK (1992-1994)
- Cohort Professor, MBA program, Norwich University (2002-present)
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Shorter College (2005-2008)
- Associate Professor, Young Harris College (2008-present)