The Teacher Preparation Program at Young Harris College allows students to pursue an exciting career as an education professional. Candidates will gain skills and knowledge necessary to become a successful educator and engage in diverse aspects of education both in the classroom and the field.
The Division of Education's programs are led and staffed by a well-credentialed and experienced faculty emphasizing the personal touch of individual interaction with all students. Strong partnerships with local schools insure outstanding field and clinical options while a strong liberal arts foundation at Young Harris College provides both breadth and depth for the knowledge base of content taught.
The unit and all programs are fully accredited by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Georgia is an active member of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) and has signed the Interstate Agreement with all other states and jurisdictions for all certificate types. This means that Georgia has certification reciprocity with all other states which allows for certification produced through Young Harris College’s programs to be extended nationally.
DEGREES AND PROGRAMS
Bachelor of Science in Education (Early Childhood Education) (P-5)
Bachelor of Science in Education (Middle Grades Education) (4-8)
Bachelor of Music Education (P-12) - Choral or Instrumental Emphasis
Secondary Certifications and Post-Baccalaureate Programs
Early Childhood Education (P-5)
Middle Grades Education (4-8)
Music Education (P-12) - Choral or Instrumental Emphasis
English Education (6-12)
History Education (6-12)
Mathematics Education (6-12)
Broad Field Science Education (6-12)
YHC creates teachers who will acquire and demonstrate...
- subject matter knowledge appropriate to the certification area and grade level
- appropriate professional dispositions for the teaching profession
- teaching skills appropriate to the certification area and grade level
- technology skills suitable to the certification area and level of learners
- skills in addressing the needs of an increasingly diverse population of learners
Find Out More...
- View the YHC Teacher Preparation Program Conceptual Framework Model.
- View the Transition Points in the YHC Teacher Preparation Program.
- View the Georgia Assessments for Certification of Educators (GACE) Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements for entrance into the YHC Teacher Preparation Program and program completion accompanied by recommendation for Georgia certification from the YHC Teacher Preparation Program.
- View the required field and clinical experiences for each certification program in the YHC Teacher Preparation Program.
- View the Teacher Preparation Program Handbook and the Teacher Preparation Program Student Teaching Handbook.
Young Harris College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Young Harris College.
The Young Harris College Teacher Preparation Program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
Young Harris College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, Virginia 20190, (703) 437-0700.