Linda Kniess, RN
Director of Health and Wellness Services
(706) 379-5160



What health care supplies should I bring to college?

  • A copy of your medical insurance card in case of emergency
  • Medications or medical supplies routinely used at home
  • Pain relievers (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc.)
  • Antihistamines and/or decongestants
  • Throat lozenges
  • Band-Aids
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Thermometer
  • Ace bandage
  • Heating pad and/or ice cap

Do you give allergy shots in the health clinic? 

We do not give allergy shots in the clinic. There is no doctor at the clinic and the college is nine miles from the nearest hospital. For the student's safety, arrangements should be made for allergy shots to be given at a local doctor's office near the hospital in Hiawassee or Blairsville. The Director of Health and Wellness Services will be glad to help make these arrangements. 

Am I allowed to keep my prescription medications in my room?

Prescription medications may be kept by students in their rooms. Medications do not need to be kept in the clinic or monitored by the student health nurse. If you take a medication that is considered a controlled substance, such as Ritalin, consider keeping it in a secret and secure place, such as a locked box.

Is there a charge for services provided by the clinic?

There is no charge for any of the services provided at the student health clinic. However, if you do not return equipment that was loaned to you, the replacement cost of the item will be charged to your college account. 

Am I required to get a physical exam before enrolling at Young Harris College? 

We recommend that students get a physical exam as well as eye and dental exams before entering college. However, physical exams are not required unless you will be playing intercollegiate athletics. The athletic trainer sends physical forms to all incoming athletes each year, which must be completed and returned to the athletic trainer prior to practice or play. 

What immunizations are required before I enter college? 

All students are required to have a doctor or health department official complete the Young Harris College Certificate of Immunization showing proof of:

  • Two MMR (measles, mump, rubella) shots or laboratory evidence of immunity to each disease
  • Tetanus shot (current within past 10 years)
  • Chicken pox immunity (by adequate vaccination, laboratory evidence of immune titer or doctor's office record showing month and year you had the disease)

All students are also required to complete a TB Screening Questionnaire which is part of the immunization record. Please read and follow the instructions for the questionnaire carefully.

Are there other vaccines recommended for college students? 

Yes, the American College Health Association recommends that college students have the series of three vaccinations that provide immunity to the Hepatitis B virus. In addition, the Center for Disease Control recommends that college freshmen who live in residence halls receive the Meningitis vaccine. The newest meningitis vaccine, Menactra, is preferred for people 11-55 years old. The older form of meningitis vaccine, Menomune, is also very safe and effective and can be used if Menactra is not available.

Anyone who intends to travel internationally is encouraged to take the Hepatitis A vaccine.

Additionally, women should consider taking Gardasil, the Human Papillomavirus vaccine. These vaccinations are not required by YHC Health and Wellness Services but are highly recommended. 

The doctor's office where I got my childhood immunizations is no longer in existence. How can I get my complete immunization record? 

Your high school or middle school may have your immunization record still on file. If you can get a copy, take it to your doctor or local health department along with the YHC's Certificate of Immunization. Have them transcribe the information onto the college record and supply their certifying information at the bottom of the form.

If you are unable to obtain any records, you will need to take the required immunizations or obtain laboratory evidence of immunity to the measles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox.

I'm a non-traditional student. They didn't give vaccinations when I was a child. Do I have to get all those immunizations now? 

If you were born before 1957, you most likely have had all the childhood diseases and are therefore immune to the measles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox. You do not have to prove immunity or receive these vaccines. However, you must be current on your tetanus vaccine and must have your Tuberculosis test done if you answer "yes" to either of the TB screening questions. It is also recommended that you consider having the Hepatitis B immunization series.

Health & Wellness Services

Linda Kniess, RN
Director of Health and Wellness Services
(706) 379-5160