In 2011, Young Harris College opened The Village, an apartment-style housing community for upperclassmen. The furnished apartments in The Village are constructed on a rolling terrain with views of the surrounding mountains and campus athletic facilities.
Configured in apartments of four private bedrooms, the complex currently features 148 beds. In fall 2012, another 100 beds in the same configuration will be opened. In addition to four private bedrooms, each apartment includes a living area, kitchen and washer and dryer. The "village" atmosphere is facilitated by expansive porches, designated areas for grilling and abundant green space surrounding the apartments.
The Village is designed and constructed to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards and is expected to earn LEED certification. It is the third new construction project to be completed as part of Young Harris College's strategic plan to make the transformation to four-year status and will be the third to earn LEED certification.
Click here to view more photos of The Village, from construction to completion.
- Features 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in each apartment (private bedroom for each student with shared bathroom)
- Each bedroom includes a dresser, desk, bed and storage/closet area
- Living room includes a couch, two chairs, entertainment center, two end tables and a coffee table
- Kitchen includes granite countertops, ample cabinet storage, and eat-in bar with three chairs and full appliance package (refrigerator, dishwasher, range and stove)
- Washer and dryer in each apartment
- Large shared outdoor veranda space with rocking chairs
- Private porch with outdoor furniture
- Cellular enhancement to boost cellular signal
- Cable television access in bedrooms and living room
- Hard-wired connections for gaming systems and internet-ready audio visual components in living room
- Wireless internet connection
Measurements vary depending on the location of the bedroom, floor and building. However, a standard measurement for each bedroom (for students interested in cutting carpet) is 9’ x 9’.
- Bedroom windows: 3’ x 5’
- Living room windows: 3’ x 6’
- Windows at ends of basement hallways and overlooking side or entry porches from basement living rooms: 3’ x 4’
The inside clear dimension is 2’ x 4’.
As each apartment will have a full kitchen, allowing students to prepare their own meals, students living in The Village will have the opportunity to choose from three specialized meal plans.
- Village Meal Plan (10 meals per week) - $1,990
- Village Meal Plan (M-F unlimited dining) - $3,220
- Regular Meal Plan (unlimited dining) - $4,500