YHC’s Teacher Preparation Program prepares students to pursue a career as an education professional with the capacity to positively impact the educational outcomes of the young people with which you will work. Candidates will develop skills and knowledge necessary to become an effective educator and engage in diverse aspects of education both in the classroom and the field. Our programs are led by a well-credentialed and experienced faculty emphasizing continuous assessment and on-going feedback and monitoring the development of a professionally-informed pedagogy. Strong partnerships with local schools ensure outstanding field and clinical options while a strong liberal arts foundation provides both breadth and depth for the knowledge base of content taught. YHC prepares teachers with the capacity for advocating for self, the community, the profession, and enriched educational outcomes for all. The unit and all programs are fully accredited by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Georgia is an active member of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) and has signed the Interstate Agreement of reciprocity with all other states and jurisdictions for all certificate types.
Students are also able to add on initial certification while completing bachelor's level degrees in the following areas: Early Childhood Education (P-5), Middle Grades Education (4-8), Music Education (P-12) - Choral or Instrumental Emphasis, English Education (6-12), History Education (6-12), Mathematics Education (6-12) and Broad Field Science Education (6-12).
- View the YHC Teacher Preparation Program Conceptual Framework Model.
- View the Transition Points in the YHC Teacher Preparation Program.
- View the Georgia Assessments for Certification of Educators (GACE) Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements for entrance into the YHC Teacher Preparation Program and program completion accompanied by recommendation for Georgia certification from the YHC Teacher Preparation Program.
- View the required field and clinical experiences for each certification program in the YHC Teacher Preparation Program.
- View the Teacher Preparation Program Handbook.
Young Harris College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Young Harris College.
The Young Harris College Teacher Preparation Program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
Young Harris College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, Virginia 20190, (703) 437-0700.