eSUMMER at YHC FAQ
- What is the cost of eSummer at YHC?
- What are the extra benefits of eSummer courses?
- How comfortable should I be using technology?
- What are the minimum technology requirements for these online courses?
- What is expected of me in an online course?
- When and where are the final exams for the courses?
- Do I need a flexible schedule this summer?
- How many online courses can I take in one summer?
- Can I manage time effectively and keep up with due dates?
- How will I find my way around my course?
- Now that I’ve decided to take an online course, what do I do next?
Young Harris College always strives to be affordable for families, and eSummer is no exception. Payment is due 10 days before classes begin.
Tuition (3-4 hours): $1,523
Student Fee: $250
- 10% tuition discount
- Priority registration for Spring semester of the following year
- eSummer gift card
An online course will require students to download and upload documents, participate in online forums, and discussions and take online quizzes and tests. Students should be comfortable using a computer, navigating the Internet and sending/receiving email.
- You must have access to a computer with an Internet connection (you cannot take an online course using only a tablet)
- Online courses require the use of a webcam with microphone for quiz/exam proctoring
- The latest version of Adobe Reader
- A current word processing software (Students are provided with a downloadable copy of Microsoft 365. Once you have obtained a YHC username and password, you can find download instruction on the Information Technology page of YHC Connect.)
- Other software (See course requirements page in the syllabus of the specific course.)
- Chrome for Windows and Apple computers (most course activities can be done with any browser but web-proctoring for exams/quizzes require Chrome)
- Proctorio extension needs to be added to Chrome browser.
- More details about Proctorio can be found here.
- Broadband Internet connection is required. Examples of broadband Internet connection are high-speed DSL or a Cable modem. You must have a back-up plan (a local library or fast-food restuarant) in case your Internet goes out. LACK OF WIFI IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR MISSING A DEADLINE. You should always work ahead so that it is not an emergency if you lose your wifi connection.
- Use of YHC e-mail is required.
Taking an online course provides students with flexibility by replacing face-to-face traditional classes with engaging online instructional activities. Online courses require that you work on your own at a computer and do a lot of reading. In order to be successful in an online course, you must:
- Successfully complete the Moodle Online Orientation course prior to the class start date;
- Download and install all necessary software and be willing to watch tutorials if you need help with the software itself;
- Manage your time effectively and efficiently;
- Take increased responsibility of your learning;
- Be willing to seek help from your instructor when needed;
- Regularly log in to the online course and follow the course calendar located in this syllabus;
- Fully engage in the online learning activities including podcasts, homework, discussion forums, projects, etc.;
- Be self-motivated;
- Be willing to learn independently.
Final exams are held in the last 2 days of the semester and can be taken from anywhere with a good internet connection. You may begin your exam anytime on the last Thursday of classes at 8 am and the exams close at midnight on the last Friday of classes. Once you begin, you only have 150 minutes to complete the exam. You must use a computer with a webcam/mic and a Chrome browser.
Young Harris College is committed to integrity in all of its programs. To ensure the security and integrity of the exam process, a proctored experience is required for successful completion of a YHC Online Course. A proctored exam is one in which the student is monitored while taking the exam. All YHC Online Courses have proctored final exams, but some may have additional proctored tests within the course.
Young Harris College has partnered with Proctorio to provide proctored exams in all YHC Online Courses. Proctorio is a cloud based system that integrates with the Moodle LMS (Learning Management System) The Proctorio online proctoring system is very easy to use, and is accessible anytime and anywhere. Proctorio authenticates the identity of the test taker and captures the entire exam session which is later reviewed by the instructor.
Although online courses take a lot of time and work, the time and work can be done on your schedule. If a student has work or family commitments during the summer, an online course might be a good fit.
Students can take up to two online courses each summer.
Online courses mean that the student decides when and where to participate in the course. While this gives the student flexibility in his or her schedule, it also requires the student to be very diligent about doing coursework regularly and push to be his or her best.
YHC uses Moodle as its main tool for online courses and students will be required to pass a short orientation which will familiarize the student with the activities within Moodle. Within each YHC online course, the faculty member will be the guide to help the student navigate the course.
If you think a summer online course is right for you, talk to your advisor to register. You will receive information about your course materials and how to access the Moodle orientation. Students should complete Moodle orientation before the course start date. Students can email the instructor to ask about specific requirements. If you are not currently a YHC student, you will need to enroll. Once accepted, you will be assigned an advisor who can help guide you through the process.