Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT)
The Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) is charged with the task of promoting a safer campus environment by effectively assessing and addressing threatening and/or concerning behavior involving Young Harris College students. BIT receives reports of disruptive, problematic, or concerning behavior; conducts an investigation; and determines the best mechanisms for support, intervention, and response. Due to federal privacy law, outcomes may not always be shared with a reporting party. However, each incident or situation brought to BIT’s attention is reviewed.
BIT is not an emergency response system. If you are experiencing an emergency or you need immediate assistance, please call the YHC Police Department at (706) 400-2614 or 9-1-1.
WHEN SHOULD I CONTACT BIT?
While BIT is a non-emergency responding body, members of the YHC community (students, faculty, staff, and parents) are encouraged to report incidents involving students who are exhibiting concerning behavior or signs of distress. Examples of incidents or situations that may result in a response from BIT include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A student experiencing a decline in work or academic performance, including multiple absences
- A student demonstrating disruptive or disturbing behavior
- A student showing dramatic changes in appearance, behavior or weight
- A student having problems at home, with classes or work
- A student making disturbing comments in conversation, emails, letters, social media postings or papers
- A student who is extremely sad, anxious or experiencing dramatic mood shifts
- A student who is abusing alcohol or drugs
- A student who is isolating themselves socially
- A student acting paranoid or suspicious
- A student who is frequently angry or easily frustrated
- A student struggling with health problems
For emergencies, please contact the YHC Police Department at (706) 400-2614 or by calling 9-1-1.
HOW TO MAKE A REPORT
Faculty and staff members are encouraged to raise behavioral concerns via Starfish. Please provide a detailed description of the incident, your concern regarding the student or any observed behavior.
Students, parents, and other community members are encouraged to make a confidential report to YHC’s Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) by completing the following online form here. The more details provided, the better BIT is able to respond to the incident or situation.
You can also contact BIT via email at email@example.com.
Click here to submit a report.