Group Fitness Classes
Patron Disciplinary Policy
- A current valid Young Harris College ID or membership key-tag must be presented to enter the facility. Attempting to enter the facility using false identification will result in confiscation and/or suspension of privileges.
- Members must be at least 16 years of age to set up a membership.
- Alcohol, non-prescription drugs, and tobacco products are prohibited.
- Food and beverages are permitted only in the lobby and in classrooms 100 and 200. Water in a spill proof, unbreakable container is permitted in the Recreation and Fitness Center activity areas.
- Non-marking athletic shoes must be worn in all activity areas.
- Participants are expected to act responsibly and respect others. Unacceptable or irresponsible behavior may result in being asked to leave, suspension from, or revoked privileges to the facility.
- Photography and/or videotaping are only permitted after obtaining permission from the Campus Recreation professional staff.
- Cell phone use is not permitted in locker room areas, due to photo/video capabilities.
- Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen items. Personal belongings must be stored in lockers or cubbies only.
- Immediately place lost items inside the lost and found bin located in the copier room (bottom drawer of storage cabinet).
- Please consult a physician prior to engaging in physical activity. Campus Recreation is not responsible for accidents or injuries that occur due to the nature of the activity.
- Injuries, accidents, or equipment failures must be immediately reported to Campus Recreation staff.
- Bicycles, strollers, and in-line skates are not permitted in the facility. Bicycles are not permitted on the patio and must be parked downstairs and chained to the rack outside the facility.
- Animals are not permitted in the facility unless assisting disabled individuals.
- Posting announcements, flyers, posters, etc., on building walls, windows, lockers, and/or doors is not permitted, but flyers can be displayed in our brochure holder upon approval.
- When the fire alarm sounds, all occupants of the building must evacuate.
- Activity spaces may be closed for basketball games, volleyball matches and special events.
- A non-marking closed athletic shoe must be worn at all times.
- Shirts must be worn at all times. No shirts vs skins games permitted.
- Personal belongings are prohibited and must be stored in a locker or cubbies.
- Activity in this area is primarily unsupervised and inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Participants engaged in rough play, fighting, or using profanity will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- Hanging on nets or rims is prohibited.
- Spitting is not permitted.
- Baseball, football, frisbee, soccer golf and other activities or equipment deemed unsafe in this environment is prohibited unless permission is given by Campus Recreation.
- Courts are prioritized for informal recreation in sports of basketball and volleyball.
- Basketball games are played to 12 points – win by two or 15 straight.
- Volleyball games will be played to 15 points – best two of three wins.
- Winning teams may stay on the court for no more than two consecutive games.
- Some scheduled activities may take priority over open recreation. Changes in the schedule will be posted.
- Appropriate athletic attire required at all times. This consists of closed-toe athletic shoes, athletic pants/shorts, t-shirt, sweatshirt, and/or tank top.
- Absolutely no clothing with rivets or exposed zippers is permitted.
- Only water in a spill proof, unbreakable container is permitted. No gallon containers are permitted.
- Personal belongings must be kept in a locker or cubbies. Staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Immediately place lost items inside the lost and found bin located in the copier room (lower drawer of storage cabinet).
- Please report injuries and facility or equipment problems to the staff immediately.
- Patrons should use extreme caution when lifting weights to avoid potential injury to themselves and others.
- Please ask staff for assistance when unfamiliar with a piece of equipment.
- All dumbbells and weights must be returned to the appropriate storage area after use.
- Use of weight collars is required at all times.
- Spotters are recommended on all lifts.
- Chalk is prohibited.
- Patrons must wipe down the equipment with a sanitary wipe after use. Please be considerate to others.
- Equipment must be used in the manner for which it is designed. Do not attempt to modify equipment.
- Standing on benches or equipment frames is prohibited.
- Dropping weights is prohibited. Please refrain from propping weights up against walls, mirrors, or pillars.
- Refrain from slamming weights by lifting and completing in a controlled manner.
- No deadlifts are permitted outside of the cages.
- Top loading additional weight onto the weight stacking machines is prohibited.
- All equipment must remain in the area it was placed. Free weight equipment must remain in its area.
- Allow others to work in when performing multiple sets.
- When using cardiovascular equipment, please be aware and considerate of others who may be waiting to use this equipment.
- When using treadmills, the use of emergency safety clip is strongly recommended.
- During periods of high use, a 30 minute maximum will be instituted for all equipment.
- Personal Training cannot be conducted by any persons other than Recreation and Fitness Center certified staff.
- All fire lanes and walkways must remain clear.
- Soft-soled, closed-toe, non-marking athletic shoes are required for all cardiovascular and resistance training classes. Shoe removal is appropriate in Yoga and flexibility training classes.
- Participants are highly encouraged to arrive to class on time. Late participants may be denied entry to class, at the instructor’s discretion, due to the importance of a sufficient warm-up period.
- It is highly recommended that participants stay for the entire Group Fitness class to ensure participation in the proper cool-down phase of class.
- Equipment must remain in the studio and be returned to its proper location after use. Equipment from other areas may not be brought into the studios. Equipment should be used for the manner for which it is designed.
Group Fitness Classes
- To enter a Group Fitness class, participants must wait outside of the studio until the instructor allows everyone inside.
- Group Fitness class entry is on a drop-in basis and will be open on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Group Fitness class size is may be limited based on equipment.
- Group Fitness classes are free and only require proper access to the facility.
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel any class on the basis of low attendance.
- Run/Jog/Walk clockwise on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- Run/Jog/Walk counter clockwise Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Inner lane is designated for walkers, middle lane for joggers and out lane designated for runners.
- Faster runners/joggers have right of way, pass on the outside lanes.
- Stretching areas are located around the track.
Patron Disciplinary Policy
When a patron of the Recreation Center has violated a policy, he/she is subject to disciplinary action. Examples of offenses include, but are not limited to: false use of identification, destruction of property, theft of property, trespassing, aiding or abetting, verbal or physical harm inflicted upon an employee or patron.
Procedure for reporting a violation:
- Contact the nearest staff member.
- Use discretion when approaching the party involved.
- If necessary, Campus Police will be called.
- The incident will be documented by filling out an incident report.
- The party involved may be escorted out of the building.
- A Campus Recreation professional staff member will follow up by contacting individuals involved and will render a decision based on all available information.
- If the incident involves a student, the Division of Student Development will be contacted.
- All documents will be filed and used in case of future infractions.
- Patron receives verbal/written warning.
- Patron receives suspension.
- Patron’s membership is rescinded.
- Second infraction results in immediate suspension.
- Upon review, membership will be suspended or rescinded.