The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program at Young Harris College is offered via real-time online classes. All class times are live classes that you can participate in from any location (including coming to campus). The assignments and resources are available online. More information can be found in the YHC Catalog and on the YHC Department of Education webpage. Instructions on how to access your synchronous online courses are below.
SYNCHRONOUS CLASS MEETINGS USING microsoft teams
Using Microsoft Teams to connect to live class meetings:
- You can use any reliable computer - Windows: Windows 7 or higher - 4GB RAM minimum | 8GB+ recommended or Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.6 or higher - 4GB RAM minimum | 8GB+ recommended+
- Headset - We recommend using a headset with a noise-cancelling mic (for example, click here).
- Reliable internet connection - Please visit the Microsoft 365 Network Connectivity test page to ensure adequate speed.
- Antivirus protection - Students will be required to have an active antivirus product installed on their personal computers before being able to connect to the YHC network.
What do to ahead of class:
- Go to the Microsoft Teams website and download the desktop version of Microsoft Teams onto your computer. While this is not mandatory, it is highly recommended.
- Sign in with your name and email to open Teams.
- To do a test meeting, go to the 'calendar tab' on the left side. Then click on the 'meet now' icon at the top of the page and then 'start meeting'. This will start to open a meeting where you are the only participant. You can set your video and audio options before opening the meeting. Click 'join now' to actually start the meeting.
- Take some time to look around at the different buttons and see what they do.
- Visit the Microsoft Teams support page for more information.
- Learn etiquette tips at https://youtu.be/lg5J8WYqfwg.
How to connect to the live class:
Access class by clicking on the link in Moodle provided by your instructor. That link will open up the Microsoft Teamsapplication on your computer automatically. If you cannot attend a live class, you may be able to view the recordings in your Moodle class link.
If you have any difficulty, please contact the iTech helpdesk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 706-379-5212.
ONLINE ASSIGNMENTS AND RESOURCES USING MOODLE
How to use Moodle to access online classes:
The Chrome browser is recommended, and you’ll need a reliable computer. You can access Moodle from a tablet or mobile device, but the experience is better on a computer. You will also need access to Office 365, which is a free download for students. Instructions to download Word are included in the Moodle orientation.
How to access Moodle:
Moodle can be accessed at moodle.yhc.edu.
What to do ahead of class:
When you first log in, you will find a required Orientation course at the top of the page. Please click on that and work your way through the orientation.
You will also find a link for your class in Moodle. Click on that to see the resources and assignments for your course. Each class has its own Moodle link.
If you have problems logging in, it is usually one of two things: either your password has expired or you are using your full email address to log in. YHC passwords expire every 90 days. To change your password, visit changemypassword.yhc.edu/private/Login. If you are using your full email address to try to log into Moodle, it will not be recognized. Only use the first part as your username, NOT the @yhc.edu part. If neither of those options work, please contact the iTech helpdesk by emailing email@example.com or calling 706-379-5212.