MAT Real-time (Synchronous) Online
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program at Young Harris College is offered via real-time online classes. All class times are live classes that you can participate in from any location (including coming to campus). The assignments and resources are available online. More information can be found in the YHC Catalog and on the YHC Department of Education webpage. Instructions on how to access your synchronous online courses are below.
Your real-time online courses consist of two parts:
Using Cisco Webex to connect to live class meetings:
1. You can use any reliable computer (Windows: Windows 7 or higher - 4GB RAM minimum | 8GB+ recommended or Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.6 or higher - 4GB RAM minimum | 8GB+ recommended+).
3. Headset. We recommend using a headset with a noise-cancelling mic (for example, click here).
4. Reliable internet connection. Please visit https://mediatest.ciscospark.com/#/main to ensure adequate speed.
5. Antivirus protection. Students will be required to have an active antivirus product installed on their personal computers before being able to connect to the YHC network.
What do to ahead of class:
1. Sign into Cisco Webex Meetings on your computer by going to your webmail and clicking on the 'waffle' icon in the upper-left. This will bring up a list of other apps and you can choose Cisco Webex. After downloading and installing, log in using your YHC email address and password. You can learn more about Webex at https://help.webex.com/?language=en-us
2. Connect audio by using the instructions at https://collaborationhelp.cisco.com/article/en-us/DOC-15299.
3. Connect video.
4. Test your set-up. Click here to see if your audio/video is set up properly.
5. Learn etiquette tips at https://youtu.be/lg5J8WYqfwg.
How to connect to the live class:
Access class by clicking on the link in Moodle provided by your instructor. That link will open up the Cisco Webex application on your computer automatically. If you cannot attend a live class, you may be able to view the recordings in your Moodle class link.
If you have any difficulty, please contact the iTech helpdesk by emailing email@example.com or calling 706-379-5212.
How to use Moodle to access online classes:
The Chrome browser is recommended, and you’ll need a reliable computer. You can access Moodle from a tablet or mobile device, but the experience is better on a computer. You will also need access to Office 365, which is a free download for students. Instructions to download Word are included in the Moodle orientation.
How to access Moodle:
Moodle can be accessed at http://moodle.yhc.edu.
What to do ahead of class:
When you first log in, you will find a required Orientation course at the top of the page. Please click on that and work your way through the orientation.
You will also find a link for your class in Moodle. Click on that to see the resources and assignments for your course. Each class has its own Moodle link.
If you are having problems logging in, it is usually one of two things: either your password has expired or you are using your full email address to log in. YHC passwords expire every 90 days. To change your password, visit changemypassword.yhc.edu/private/Login. If you are using your full email address to try to log into Moodle, it will not be recognized. Only use the first part as your username, NOT the @yhc.edu part. If neither of those options work, please contact the iTech helpdesk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 706-379-5212.