Arts & Culture
Young Harris College offers frequent events and programs that enrich and enhance the cultural life of our college campus and surrounding community. View the Calendar of Events for all listings.
Our thriving arts program features live concerts, theatrical productions, visual art exhibitions and other yearly events. Additionally, the Division of Mathematics and Science facilitates planetarium shows for both school groups and the public.
- Campus Gate Art Gallery Exhibitions
- Theatre Young Harris Performances
- O. Wayne Rollins Planetarium Shows
- Musical Performances
- Friends of the Arts
Lectures and Readings
At YHC, we constantly strive to provide our students and faculty with access to thought-provoking speakers and guest lecturers. Currently, we feature three distinct lecture series as well as various guest lectures for each academic discipline at the College.
- Byron Herbert Reece Lecture Series: The Byron Herbert Reece Lecture Series was established in 1966 in memory of Byron Herbert Reece, an author, poet, and Young Harris College teacher. This lecture series honors his memory and contributions to the world of letters by bringing noted writers to campus.
- Sellers Lecture Series: The Sellers Lecture Series was established to honor Bettie M. Sellers, professor emeritus at Young Harris College and noted Georgia poet.
- Ragsdale Lecture Series: The Ragsdale Lecture Series brings national speakers to Young Harris College to discuss relevant governmental and political issues. It was established in 1983 by Mr. and Mrs. H.D. Paris to honor Mrs. Paris’ cousin, Warner B. Ragsdale. Ragsdale was a 1917 graduate of Young Harris College who achieved a long and distinguished career in journalism. Recent lecturers include Dr. Joseph Lowery, civil rights leader and co-founder and president emeritus of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
- Guest Lectures: Guest lecturers are invited to speak to members of the YHC community about their accomplishments relevant to their field of study.