Georgia Assessments for Certification of Educators (GACE)
The GACE Basic Skills Test is required of any student desiring entrance into the Young Harris College Teacher Preparation Program if the student does not have the following:
- SAT - minimum score 1,000 (Verbal/Critical Reading+Mathematics)
- GRE - minimum score 1,030 (Verbal+Quantitative)
- ACT - minimum score 43 (English+Mathematics)
The GACE Basic Skills Test (or test scores allowing for exemption) is the first requirement by the GA PSC for certification purposes. When the YHC Teacher Preparation Program is recommending program completers for certification, copies of passing test scores of both the complete GACE Basic Skills Test (or exemption scores) and the GACE Exit Content Tests are part of the submission of documents packet to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
All students not exempting the GACE Basic Skills Test as defined above must take all three components of the test: Reading, Mathematics and Writing.
The following GACE Content Exit Tests will be required of all YHC students completing the Teacher Preparation Program:
- Early Childhood Education (P-5)
- Middle Grades Education (4-8) (Two areas of chosen concentration are selected):
- Music Education (P-12)
- English Education (6-12)
- History Education (6-12)
- Mathematics Education (6-12)
- Science (Broad Field) Education (6-12)
Visit the GACE website for more information about the GACE Basic Skills Test and Content Exit Tests.