The Young Harris College Police Department is charged with the responsibilities of providing life safety and property protection. To meet these important responsibilities, the College maintains a force of state-certified police officers whose duties are integrated to provide law enforcement, crime prevention and parking control/enforcement. Officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The department strives to contribute to the academic environment by performing professional law enforcement tasks with a positive, service-oriented and educational approach.
Officers receive their law enforcement authority through the Official Code of Georgia Annotated; code Sections 20-8-2. There are 15 staff positions in the department including four full-time officers, 10 part-time officers and an administrative assistant. All police officers are certified by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council after completing the 404 hour basic mandate training course. The officers are then required to complete a minimum of 20 hours of annual training to maintain their peace officer certification. They are authorized full police powers including the power of arrest on all college property.
The YHC Police Department aims to...
- Assure, to the best of our abilities, the protection and preservation of life and property from criminal acts and physical hazards.
- Increase awareness of safety issues and encourage public participation in daily crime prevention efforts.
- Provide the resources and information necessary for assisting citizens under special circumstances.
- Be held accountable for our standard of professional performance and take every reasonable opportunity to enhance and improve our knowledge and competence.
- Treat everyone equally with courtesy, consideration and dignity.
Officers patrol the campus via marked patrol units and foot patrol to deter acts of crime and to detect and intervene when criminal activity occurs. Officers respond and follow-up on all reported crimes. In addition to patrol duties, officers investigate traffic accidents, assist in medical emergencies, provide limited motorists assistance, enforce campus parking and traffic regulations and provide support for many campus activities and events.
Parking decals can be obtained at the Police Department Monday-Friday between 8 a.m.-5 p.m. The decal must be affixed to the vehicle on the rear window, bottom right corner. Old decals must be removed before new decals are put on the vehicle.
The Young Harris College Police Department staff is ready to assist you around the clock.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Emergency (24 Hours)
For more information, email YHC Chief of Police Ken Henderson.