You are here

Facilities

ACADEMICS

Center for Excellence in teaching and learning

Previously the home of the College's presidents from 1930 to 1960, the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) engages the academic community with the purpose of providing students with a successful college experience. The CETL hosts an ongoing forum on effective teaching and learning in a higher education environment, including individual guidance through instructional materials and training on advanced educational equipment.


Adams-Galloway House

The Adams-Galloway house, located on Main Street, houses faculty offices for the Department of Mathematics.


YHC BEETLE LAB

The YHC Hemlock Project is a volunteer organization housed on the YHC campus that began in May 2005 in an attempt to stem the growing infestation of a tiny bug called Hemlock Wooly Adelgid (HWA) in the hemlock stands of the north Georgia mountains. At the YHC Beetle Lab, community members and students volunteer their time and energy to help raise Sasajiscymnus tsugae, a tiny ladybird beetle that is one of the few natural predators of the HWA. The organization works in conjunction with the USDA Forest Service and the Georgia Forestry Commission to decide where to release the adult beetles. The beetle lab at Young Harris College was the first of its kind in Georgia.


Center for Appalachian Studies and Community Engagement

This two-story building is located on Main Street. The CASCE is committed to the celebration of Appalachian culture and to service that engages students with communities in the region. The center leads initiatives focused on service learning, Appalachian studies, community engagement, social justice and sustainability. The facility also provides faculty offices for the Department of Religion and Philosophy, office and work space for student leaders, and space for meetings and seminars.

 


Center for Writing and Speaking

The Center for Writing and Speaking supports Young Harris College’s Rhetorica program that was created to improve students’ written and spoken communication. The center helps students improve their performance on papers, presentations and class discussion. Trained student tutors review paper drafts, evaluate presentations and explain discussion strategies to help students improve their performance. The facility’s resources include on-campus writing and speaking labs and a website with online resources to help students with written and spoken communication.


Charles R. Clegg Fine Arts Building

The Charles R. Clegg Fine Arts Building, completed in 1965, is named in honor of a former president of the College. The Clegg Building houses studios, practice rooms, a choral rehearsal room and classrooms for the Division of Fine Arts.


Goolsby Center for Humanities and Social and Behavioral Science

The Goolsby Center for Humanities and Social and Behavioral Science, completed in 1993, is named in honor of G. Milton, 1916, and Ophelia Roberts Goolsby, 1916. This  40,000-square-foot building provides 12 classrooms and 20 offices for Humanities and Social and Behavioral Science faculty. In addition, the Goolsby Center contains a conference room, the 158-seat Wilson Lecture Hall and the Dobbs Black Box Theatre.


Maxwell Center for Mathematics and Sciences

The Maxwell Center for Mathematics and Sciences, completed in 1979, is named for Alva Maxwell, 1914, and Edna Stephens Maxwell, who gave many years of devoted service to the College. Mr. Maxwell served on the College’s Board of Trustees for 63 years and served as its chairman for 16 of those years. The history of the family of Mrs. Maxwell is intertwined with that of Young Harris College. Her grandmother, Mrs. Nancy L. Robertson, gave the original parcel of land upon which the College was established. This multi-purpose classroom building houses the physical and biological sciences, mathematics and the O. Wayne Rollins Planetarium.


OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP CENTER

The Outdoor Leadership Center serves as the home base for outdoor leadership classes and programs. The center includes three full-time faculty offices, a large classroom space, common area, full-size kitchen, reading and computer work stations, and land and water equipment storage. There is a large green space in front of the facility and a wooded area behind the building that are readily used as outdoor classrooms. Outdoor leadership students enjoy a campus center that is conducive to experiential education, learning and community.


O. WAYNE ROLLINS PLANETARIUM

The O. Wayne Rollins Planetarium, located in the Maxwell Center for Mathematics and Science, was made possible through the philanthropy of Wayne and Grace Rollins. The planetarium features a state-of-the-art GOTO Chronos Space Simulator star projector with a full-dome digital projection system, the Sky-Skan Definiti, in a 40-foot dome theatre. With comfortable seating for 104, Rollins Planetarium offers public shows and educational opportunities for school groups throughout the year.


YHC FINE ARTS ANNEX

The YHC Fine Arts Annex, located across the street from the main campus, houses classrooms and media-specific studio space, including a painting studio, a drawing studio and a 3-D sculpture studio. Each studio has large utility sinks and track lighting, along with ample space to spread out easels and drawing desks. Art faculty offices include a studio space, allowing faculty members to produce artwork while also remaining accessible to students.

 

ADMINISTRATION

ALUMNI SERVICES OFFICE

ALUMNI SERVICES OFFICEAlumni are encouraged to visit the Office of Alumni Services to find out how to stay involved, get the latest information about alumni events and receive general assistance.


PRUITT-BARRETT BUILDING

PRUITT-BARRETT BUILDINGNamed in honor of two YHC benefactors, J. C. Pruitt and Guy Barrett, "PB" is the one-stop shop for the offices of Academic Affairs, Business, Finance and Administration, Financial Aid, Human Resources, Information Technology and the Registrar.


SHARP HALL

SHARP HALLSharp Hall, built in 1912, is the second oldest building on campus. Last renovated in 2009, Sharp Hall houses the Office of the President, Office of Advancement, Office of Planning and Research, Office of Communications and Marketing and the YHC Bookstore.

 

ARTS & CULTURE

CAMPUS GATE ART GALLERY

The Campus Gate Art Gallery provides a great source of cultural enrichment to the YHC campus and community. The gallery is a beautifully restored building located on College Street next to the U.S. Post Office. Exhibitions by professional artists take place in the gallery throughout the year, as well as one juried student exhibition. Each exhibition has a reception where guests can meet and mingle with the exhibiting artist and discuss the artwork with him or her. All exhibitions and receptions are free and open to the public. The gallery hours are Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.


DOBBS THEATRE

Used by Theatre Young Harris, the 175-seat Dobbs Theatre is a state-of-the-art flexible space that can be easily adjusted for arena or thrust staging.


ENOTAH HALL AMPHITHEATRE

Located behind Enotah Hall, this amphitheatre is a versatile space used for plays, lectures, concerts and religious life gatherings.


GLENN~McGinnis Hall 

The Clegg Fine Arts Building contains Glenn~McGinnis Hall, which offers a seating capacity of more than 1,000 and a large stage and orchestra pit for theatre and music presentations. In addition, the Clegg Fine Arts Building houses fully equipped scenery and costume shops.


OBSERVATORY

Situated just a few minutes from campus, the College’s observatory benefits from its high elevation and access to the wonderful dark skies of northern Georgia. In addition to the main telescope housed in a 15-foot dome, the facility also contains piers that mount two 8-inch scopes. The observatory has a number of other telescopes that can be used on the site as well. The main telescope is a Meade 16-inch reflector with Schmidt Cassegrain optical design. It has computerized pointing capability, which means the astronomer can simply select the desired viewing target from a large database of astronomical objects, press “Enter,” and the telescope will automatically point to that target and begin tracking it. The observatory is located at an elevation of more than 2,000 feet on the flanks of Brasstown Bald, the tallest peak in Georgia. The site is on Georgia state property, near the Brasstown Valley Resort. The high elevation and relatively low light pollution in the area make for excellent viewing conditions on clear star-filled nights.


O. WAYNE ROLLINS PLANETARIUM

The O. Wayne Rollins Planetarium, located in the Maxwell Center for Mathematics and Science, was made possible through the philanthropy of Wayne and Grace Rollins. The planetarium features a state-of-the-art GOTO Chronos Space Simulator star projector with a full-dome digital projection system, the Sky-Skan Definiti, in a 40-foot dome theatre. With comfortable seating for 104, Rollins Planetarium offers public shows and educational opportunities for school groups throughout the year.

 

ATHLETICS

DEPARTMENT OF ATHLETICS

The Young Harris College Department of Athletics houses almost all YHC coaches and the athletic administration. It features a dedicated strength and conditioning space for YHC athletics teams. The area boasts 2,000 square feet of equipment tailored to the effective training and preparation of student-athletes.


BERRY TENNIS CENTER

The Berry Tennis Center is named for Irene Hackney Berry and was given to the College as a part of the estate of Irene Hackney Berry. This facility serves as home to a pro shop, locker rooms and offices for the tennis, golf and cross country programs.


CROSS COUNTRY TRAIL

The Cross Country Trail uses the campus and surrounding area and is easily one of the most scenic and challenging in the state. Approximately two miles in length with a compacted gravel surface, the course incorporates a variety of challenges for runners, including traversing mountainous and flat terrain and crossing bridges and short stretches of pavement. The course includes switch-back portions and connecting loops, making it possible to easily add to the length of a meet.


SOCCER & LACROSSE FIELD

The field is used for men's and women's intercollegiate soccer and lacrosse. The field features a state-of-the-art Daktronics scoreboard and AstroTurf® outlined in YHC purple, as well as the mountain lion logo at center field with the NCAA and PBC logos displayed on either side.

 


E. D. RIVERS SOFTBALL FIELD

The E. D. Rivers Softball Field, named for YHC alumnus Governor E. D. Rivers, is used for intercollegiate women’s softball.


RECREATION & FITNESS CENTER

The 57,000-square-foot Recreation and Fitness Center opened in August 2010. This state-of-the-art facility features a first-class, fully equipped weight room, an impressive 37-foot-high rock climbing wall, an elevated indoor jogging track surrounding the facility and an 1,100-purple-seat, NCAA-regulation arena that serves as the home of Mountain Lions basketball. The center also boasts multi-purpose classrooms for yoga, dance and aerobics, office space and locker rooms for the athletic department, and wide windows to enjoy the surrounding mountain-landscape views. YHC was awarded LEED Certification for the Recreation and Fitness Center by the U.S. Green Building Council.


BOB & Gayle nichols tennis complex

Completed in August 2010, the Bob & Gayle Nichols Tennis Complex is located on Highway 76 and is home to the College's men's and women's tennis teams. The complex features 12 lighted tournament-quality courts. In 2012, the complex was named to honor Dr. Bob and Gayle Nichols for their distinguished years of service to YHC. Bob taught math, coached tennis and served as director of academic advising, while Gayle served as the senior college counselor until retiring in 2009 after more than 30 years of service.


zell b. miller baseball field

The Zell B. Miller Field, named for former U.S. Senator and Georgia Governor Zell Miller, ’51, is used for intercollegiate baseball.

 

RESIDENCE LIFE

APPLEBY COMPLEX

The Appleby Complex, named for 1895 alumnus and trustee Scott B. Appleby, was first occupied in 1961 and is composed of two units: Center and West. Center and West are arranged in two-room suites with a connecting bath. Center has space for 116 students, and West has space for 44 students. Each division has an apartment for a residence life coordinator, a common room and a laundry room.


ENOTAH HALL

Enotah Hall is a 62,500-square-foot, three-story residential facility that accommodates 200 students. The hall’s 50 residential suites are each comprised of two double-occupancy rooms with two baths, a living room and a kitchenette. The building contains four soundproof Wenger music practice rooms, study rooms, a 24-hour lobby featuring lounge space and a laundry facility that allows students to check online for available machines and receive a text message when laundry is finished. YHC was awarded LEED Silver Certification for Enotah Hall by the U.S. Green Building Council. Located behind Enotah Hall is an amphitheatre that serves as a versatile space used for plays, lectures, concerts and religious life gatherings.


HILLGROVE HALL

Hillgrove Hall, completed in the fall of 2002, contains 48 rooms and accommodates 96 students. Each room has its own bathroom. Also within the hall is an apartment for a residence life coordinator, a TV lounge, a computer room and a laundry room.


MANGET HALL

Manget Hall, completed in 1956 with funds given to the College by Scott B. Appleby, 1895, honors the memory of John Manget. The building includes 11 units and accommodates 67 students. Each unit has three two-person rooms with two baths and a living room. Also within the hall is an apartment for a residence life coordinator, a common room and a laundry room.

 


ROLLINS HALL

Rollins Hall, completed in 1986, is named for the late O. Wayne Rollins, who served as a loyal trustee of the College for 21 years prior to his death in 1991. The building includes 11 units and accommodates 88 students. Each unit has four two-person rooms, two baths and a large living room. Also within the hall are guest quarters, an apartment for a residence life coordinator, a common room and a laundry room.


THE TOWERS

The Towers, which opened in Fall 2013, is a unique housing community for first-year students. Centered near the heart of campus, this LEED-certified facility is made up of three separate buildings connected through a shared central building. The Towers are configured in “pods,” or small communities consisting of students living in different sizes and styles of rooms surrounding a country club-style bath area. The innovative pod concept is a growing trend in residence life nationwide. It provides both living and learning spaces that encourage student interaction and foster a sense of community during formative semesters on campus. 


THE VILLAGE

In 2011, Young Harris College opened The Village, a LEED-certified apartment-style housing community for upperclassmen. The furnished apartments in The Village are constructed on a rolling terrain with views of the surrounding mountains and campus athletic facilities. Configured in apartments of four private bedrooms, the complex features 248 beds. Each apartment includes a living area, kitchen, and washer and dryer. The village atmosphere is facilitated by expansive porches, designated areas for grilling and abundant green space surrounding the apartments.

 

STUDENT LIFE

ROLLINS CAMPUS CENTER

The $41 million, 121,000-square-foot Rollins Campus Center houses four distinct areas: a 60,000-square-foot multi-purpose student center; the 40,000-square-foot state-of-the-art Zell and Shirley Miller Library; Grace Rollins Dining Hall; and the versatile 350-seat Charles Suber Banquet Hall. Some highlights include space for student organizations in the Mary Warren Loft, a game room and multimedia theatre with stadium seating for 25, a Chick-fil-A Express and a Starbucks coffee shop. The facility houses the Academic Success Center and offices of Admissions, Student Development and Religious Life. The facility was awarded LEED Gold certification.


SUSAN B. HARRIS CHAPEL

The Susan B. Harris Chapel, a memorial to the wife of Young L. G. Harris, was built in 1892. Last renovated in 2009, the Chapel is used as a general assembly hall for vespers, concerts and lectures. The Chapel is the oldest building on campus and is more closely associated with the traditions of the College than any of the other buildings.


YHC BOOKSTORE

Owned by Follett, the Young Harris College Bookstore offers the textbooks and supplies that YHC students need for their courses.