UPDATE: Important Updates Regarding COVID-19
Today, I reconvened the Young Harris College Pandemic Preparedness Team to evaluate the rapidly evolving circumstances of the COVID-19 Pandemic that have occurred over the past 48 hours. We considered any and all changes necessary to our current preparedness and response posture to ensure the continued health and safety of our students, staff and faculty. Over the past two days, we have witnessed unprecedented actions being taken at the federal, state and local levels to achieve more heightened levels of social distancing deemed essential to curbing the spread of novel coronavirus. Effective March 16, Young Harris College will transition all its academic curriculum delivery for an interim period of time to our online learning management system, Moodle. To make this transition as smooth as possible, the following actions will be immediately implemented:
- Beginning Monday, March 16, all in-seat classroom instruction is suspended, and curriculum will be delivered online for an interim period of time. Students are strongly discouraged from returning to campus.
- It is recognized some students will need to return to campus due to extenuating circumstances. For example, international travel disruptions may preclude international students from returning to their home countries. In any instance where a currently registered dormitory resident has an extenuating circumstance making it essential to return to campus to shelter in place, minimum essential services, including access to laundry and limited meal service, will be made available.
- On Monday, March 16, faculty will begin delivery of courses online. At a minimum during the first week of delivery, faculty will outline how they will accomplish their course delivery and begin content posting. This transition is rapidly occurring, and your patience is appreciated as faculty make this unscheduled transition.
- It is recognized many students may have left course materials in their resident housing. During this interim period of online course delivery, every effort will be made to make this transition smooth and independent of the need for materials left in housing over the break.
- Faculty / student advising will continue during this period virtually through the use of email and other means.
- The Office of the Registrar and Office of Financial Aid will continue to service student needs virtually.
- When public health officials have determined that COVID-19 conditions have sufficiently abated such that it is safe to return to normal campus operations, I will direct students, faculty and staff to return to campus and provide adequate notice to afford the necessary travel time for students to return to the Enchanted Valley.
We all must work together to make these necessary changes during this important period in YHC’s emerging history. I am committed to the wellbeing of each of you during this challenging time and thank you in advance for your understanding and efforts during this interim period of online instruction.
Dr. Drew L. Van Horn
Young Harris College