Skip to content
Students at a table

Spread out tuition costs

Loans are sources of funding that allow students to spread the cost of their education over time.

Loans MUST BE REPAID even if a student does not complete their education. Students apply for low-interest Federal Direct Loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) to qualify. For more information about Federal student loans, visit

Types of loans

Federal loans

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
This is a low-interest loan offered by the federal government. Students must demonstrate financial need as determined by information provided on the FAFSA to be eligible. Interest does not accrue on this loan as long as the student is continuously enrolled at least half-time. Further information can be found at

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
This is a low-interest loan offered by the federal government. Students do not need to demonstrate financial need to be eligible. The interest on this loan will begin to accrue once the loan funds are received by the College. Further information can be found at

Federal Parent or Grad PLUS Loans
Federal Parent or Grad PLUS Loans are available to credit-worthy parents of eligible dependent students or of graduate students. PLUS Loans are not based on financial need. Applications may be completed online at Borrowers must begin repaying principal and interest within 60 days after the final loan disbursement of their annual period of enrollment. Further details may be obtained from the financial aid office.


Other loans

United Methodist Student Loan
The United Methodist Church offers loans to students who attend a United Methodist College. This loan is not based on financial need. Applicants must be enrolled full-time and maintain at least a “C” average. Students may borrow a maximum of $5,000 per academic year. Applications may be completed on the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry’s website.

Student Access Loan (SAL) Program
The SAL is a need-based loan offered by the Georgia Student Finance Authority (GSFA). It is a 1% fixed-rate loan designed to assist undergraduate students who have a gap in meeting their educational costs. Please visit for more information and to submit an application.


Federal loan requirements


Entrance Counseling
First-time federal loan borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling before the College can receive any loan funds on the student’s behalf. Entrance Counseling is an online tutorial that helps students understand the terms and conditions of their loan, as well as their rights and responsibilities. Students will learn what a loan is, how interest works, their repayment options and how to avoid delinquency and default. Entrance Counseling is completed online at

Master Promissory Note (MPN)
First-time student borrowers must complete an MPN before the College can receive any loan funds on the student’s behalf. First-time parent borrowers must also complete an MPN before the College can receive any loan funds on the parent’s behalf. The MPN is a legal document in which the student and/or parent promise to repay the loan(s) they have received, as well as any accrued interest and fees. The MPN is completed online at

Exit Counseling
Exit counseling must be completed when a student leaves the College or drops below half-time enrollment. Exit Counseling provides important information to help students understand their loan obligations and be prepared to repay their loan(s). Counseling is completed online at Students will receive an email from the Office of Financial Assistance office notifying them it is time to complete Exit Counseling, but it is the student’s responsibility to be sure the counseling is completed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Student transcripts will not be released and access to other services may be revoked until Exit Counseling is complete.

Additional types of aid

art student posing for a photo


Scholarships, which can be need- or merit-based, are awarded in recognition of special skills, talent, or academic ability.

a couple of people wearing sports uniforms


Grants, which do not need to be repaid, help cover part of the cost of your education. They are typically based on financial need.

a person holding a book in a library


Student work-study positions are available based on financial need. They can also support your career goals.