You are here


Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No. Young Harris College has a rigorous admissions process and regardless of the disability, a student must meet the same admissions criteria. A student is not asked about a disability; however, a student may wish to disclose that he or she has a disability to explain certain situations.

If I send information on my disability to the Admissions Office, am I automatically registered with Disability Services?

No.  Accepted students should send their disability information directly to the Office of Disability Services.  A student must meet with staff in Disability Services and self-disclose with adequate documentation before accommodations can be provided.  (Please see Documentation of Guidelines for a Specific Disability.) Once the Director of the Office of Disability Services has reviewed documentation and determined eligibility and the student has given permission for information release, accommodations will be requested.

Are students with disabilities allowed into every academic program and activity?

Young Harris College must provide access for students with disabilities to any program or activity provided to any student. A student with a disability(ies) must be otherwise qualified such as meeting the minimum grade point average, meeting technical standards, etc.

If I register with Disability Services, will it show up on my permanent record?

No. A student’s permanent academic record is maintained by the Registrar's Office and is completely separate from records maintained in Disability Services. Records are held in strict confidence, and information is released only on a "need to know" basis with written permission from the student.

What is considered a disability?

As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical, or emotional impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Students must provide appropriate documentation to verify the disability. 

Will a high school Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan provide sufficient documentation of a disability?

No. Although the IEP and 504 Plan provide valuable information used to discuss appropriate accommodations, documentation from a licensed professional is necessary.

How can I get documentation/evaluation for a learning disability or ADHD?

Disability Services and Student Counseling Services have a list of local professionals who can test students for LD or ADHD. They can also offer suggestions on how to locate a professional in the student’s local area.

Do accommodations give students with a learning disability or ADHD an unfair advantage?

No. Accommodations are based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment. The purpose is to provide the student with an environment to obtain information and demonstrate mastery of the information being tested by minimizing or eliminating the impact of the disability. Accommodations level the playing field; they do not provide an unfair advantage.

How do I get classroom accommodations?

Students meet with Disability Services staff to review documentation, create a Student Support Plan, and establish appropriate accommodations. To ensure consistent, appropriate accommodations, Disability Services will provide the Student Support Plan to each faculty member, in whose class the student is enrolled.  Notification to faculty regarding students’ disabilities will be made by Disability Services; however, students should meet with faculty in their offices to discuss accommodations. Students do not have to disclose a specific disability; however, discussion regarding the reason for the accommodation is recommended. Faculty are asked to provide only the accommodations listed on the letter.

Do all students with disabilities get priority registration for classes?

No. Priority registration for students with disabilities is to allow for accommodations only. For example, if a student has a mobility impairment or needs extra time on a test due to a learning disability, priority registration is provided to allow appropriate scheduling. It is not automatic, nor does it continue if a student no longer needs the accommodation.

If I sustain a temporary disability am I eligible for services?

A temporary impairment may qualify as a disability if its severity is such that it results in a substantial limitation of one or more major life activities for an extended period of time. The issue of whether a temporary impairment is substantial enough to be considered a disability will be resolved on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the expected duration of the impairment and the extent to which it actually limits a major life activity of the affected individual.