You are here

Sexual Assault & Misconduct

Young Harris College strictly prohibits sexual misconduct. Sexual misconduct refers to sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. 

This page provides information regarding what you should do if you experience a sexual assault, and is a resource for local and regional services, and response efforts. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any on or off campus resource for further information.

What is Consent?

Consent can be communicated between parties through words or action, but must be given with the intent of creating a mutual understanding regarding the act of sexual activity. Consent is invalid when it involves the following:

  • physical force, threats, or intimidation
  • minors under the age of consent
  • persons whose mental disabilities prohibit sound judgment
  • persons physically or mentally incapacitated, either voluntarily or involuntarily, as a result of alcohol or other drug consumption
  • individuals who are unconscious, unaware, or otherwise physically helpless

Consent is not a passive means of approval and silence cannot be interpreted as consent. Lack of consent may also be communicated through the use of non-verbal expressions or actions indicating resistance. Consent may be withdrawn at any time. 

What is Sexual Assault?

Sexual assault is any form of unwanted sexual contact obtained without consent and/or obtained through the use of force, threat of force, intimidation, drugs or substances that impact a person’s ability to resist, or through coercion. This contact includes, but is not limited to:

  • intentional touching, either of the victim or when the victim is forced to touch, directly or through clothing, another person’s genitals, breasts, thighs, or buttocks;
  • penetration that involves sexual, anal, or oral intercourse without effective consent; or
  • sexual penetration with an object.

Please see the Guide to Student Life for the definitions of sexual harassment, dating & domestic violence, and stalking.

What should I do if I have been sexually assaulted?

1.  Go to a safe place.

2. Seek medical attention. You may seek medical care at any time after unwanted sexual activity without reporting a crime or notifying the police. However, if you think you would like to prosecute, you should have a medical examination as soon as possible. You may receive a medical exam at either of the following local hospitals:

Chatuge Regional Hospital
110 S Main Street
Hiawassee, Georgia 30546

Union General Hospital
35 Hospital Way
Blairsville, Georgia 30512

Regardless of your decision to prosecute, it is important to be examined by a medical professional for possible injuries, sexually transmitted infections (STI’s), or pregnancy.

3. Preserve any physical evidence (this may be necessary to establish proof of criminal activity or to obtain an order of protection in the future). Do not change your clothing, bathe, shower, wash your hands or comb your hair. If you do choose to change your clothes, store them in a paper bag to preserve possible DNA evidence. 

4. Consider seeking support and/or counseling. Sexual assault is a complex and painful experience that often requires a combination of legal, medical, psychological and academic support. Victim-survivors may wish to have a confidential conversation about their options and what steps to take next. There are resources both on and off campus for victim-survivors to get confidential support.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

CAPS offers confidential one-on-one counseling and crisis services for YHC students. The CAPS office is located on the lower level of Appleby Center. To schedule an appointment, please contact CAPS at (706) 379-5057. 

Support in Abusive Family Emergencies, inc. (S.A.F.E.)

Serving Towns and Union counties, S.A.F.E. offers a comprehensive array of services for victim-survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, including a 24-hour crisis hotline (706) 379-3000.  Victim-survivors can receive confidential support via the hotline or in person. For more information, visit


Access free, 24/7 local crisis support online or by calling 800-656-HOPE (4673). For more information, visit

5. Consider reporting the incident. You have the right to choose whether reporting an incident is in your best interest. Any of the following departments can help you report an incident of sexual misconduct.

YHC or Towns County Police Department

Both the YHC Police Department and Towns County Police can help with filing a criminal report and investigation. To contact the YHC Police Department please call (706) 896-7460. To contact Towns County Police please dial 9-1-1

Title IX Coordinator

Vincent Robelotto, Title IX Coordinator and Human Resources Director, (706) 379-5272/, can file a formal report with the College for violations of the Sexual Misconduct Policy.  

Office of Student Development

The Office of Student Development, (706) 379-5118, can help students report incidents of sexual misconduct to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

What are my options if I report?

There are a variety of options available should you decide to report an incident of sexual misconduct. Victim-survivors may pursue criminal charges and/or a campus investigation. While victim-survivors can request anonymity during either process, this may limit the ability of the police and/or the College to investigate the incident.

Regardless, all reports of sexual misconduct are investigated by officials appropriately trained on the issues related to sexual assault and misconduct.

To file a confidential report, please contact the following:

To file a criminal report, please contact the YHC Police Department at (706) 896-7460 or Towns County Police at 9-1-1.

To file a report for a violation of the Young Harris College Sexual Misconduct Policy, contact the following:

  • Vincent Robelotto, Title IX Coordinator and Human Resources Director, at (706) 379-5272 or
  • Vice President for Student Development, at (706) 379-5118.

Additional Resources

More detailed information about YHC’s sexual misconduct polices and reporting procedures can be found in the Guide to Student Life.

Support in Abusive Family Emergencies (S.A.F.E.)

Georgia Network to End Sexual Assault

Sexual Assault Center of NW Georgia

Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN)